How language acquisition turned generative
This course is for advanced undergrads or grad students who already know a fair bit of generative syntax (preferrably cross-linguistically) - they however need not know much about acquisition. It's also a course for those who have done traditional and/or empirical L1A/L2A and want an overview and appraisal of generative approaches to the field. No preparatory reading required.
- Is there a logical problem of language acquisition? Historical overview of L1 acquisition
- Testing for UG: The debate on German L2 word order Discontinuity - weak continuity - strong continuity
- Major approaches to the acquisition of early syntactic structure: No functional categories vs. Tree building/Lexical learning vs Full competence. Early NPs and DPs.
- Classic L1A topics: Verbal morphology, agreement and verb placement
- Classic L1A topics: Root infinitives, Null subjects